Cameroon pepper is known for its unique flavour and ability to put your throat on “fire.” How much do you know about the health benefits of Cameroon
Cameroon pepper is known for its unique flavour and ability to put your throat on “fire.” How much do you know about the health benefits of Cameroon pepper when its included in your meals?
These bulbous, spicy, and incredibly “hot” fruits come in several colours; green, red, and yellow!. The colour of the pepper depends on when it is harvested. When harvested before they ripen, Cameroon peppers are green in colour but turn red or yellow when mature and ripe.
Health Benefits of Cameroon Pepper
This fairly popular fruit which belongs to a larger group of peppers called the Habanero Peppers, is generally considered to have originated in South America, notably Mexico, Brazil, and Cuba. But Cameroon has become reputed for producing the best pepper in and around West Africa, hence Cameroon Pepper.
Cameroon pepper adds a fantastic flavour to meals of all kinds, i.e., vegetables, porridges, grilled fish, and Barbecues. What’s more? The health benefits associated with Cameroon Pepper are mind-blowing! Well, that’s if you can stand the heat!
What are the health Benefits of Cameroon Pepper?
The health benefits of Cameroon pepper are almost entirely down to a chemical substance called capsaicin. Capsaicin is a phytonutrient, and it is the primary chemical compound responsible for the spiciness of pepper, but it also has mind-blowing health benefits. Below are some health benefits of Cameroon pepper:
- Cancer prevention: Capsaicin has anti-cancer properties, which help prevent the growth and development of cancerous cells in essential body organs like the intestines, prostate, kidney, and lungs.
- The breakdown of lipids is important in preventing heart-related conditions like blocked arteries. Capsaicin in Cameroon pepper speeds up the breakdown of lipids, thus helping burn fats, leading to weight loss. A 2013 edition of the European Journal for Nutrition reports that daily intake of capsaicin lowers “bad” cholesterol levels.
- Capsaicin also contains active chemicals that fight against High blood pressure and diabetes Mellitus.
- Cameroon pepper also contains a hefty amount of vitamins, notably vitamin C, and also includes 18 calories of energy with no fats. The amount of vitamin C in one Cameroon pepper is enough for your daily Vitamin C requirements.
- Cameroon pepper also contains healthy doses of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining a healthy heart rhythm, proper muscle contraction, and normal water balance. It is vital to consume potassium-rich foods, as the body can’t produce potassium by itself.
As you can see, whenever you swallow up a bowl of soup or grapple with some spicy vegetable or barbecue meal, don’t forget that adding Cameroon pepper to your plate can prolong your lifespan!