Becoming a teacher in Cameroon takes dedication and hard work, but there are some steps that anyone can take to help them on their way to teaching
Becoming a teacher in Cameroon takes dedication and hard work, but there are some steps that anyone can take to help them on their way to teaching in this beautiful country.
Teaching in Cameroon can be a rewarding and challenging career path for those who want to make a difference in students’ lives. Cameroon provides a unique opportunity to teach children and adults, with abundant options, diverse cultural backgrounds, and a rich educational landscape.
This guide will provide all the essential information needed to become a teacher in Cameroon, from understanding the local educational system to finding a job and preparing for the interview process.
How to Become a Teacher in Cameroon
Who is a Teacher?
A teacher is someone who has been trained and qualified to instruct others in a specific subject or skill. They can provide students with guidance and knowledge, allowing them to develop their skills and reach their full potential.
How Does One Become a Teacher in Cameroon?
So then, how do you become a teacher in Cameroon? This is a question on many people’s lips and minds. You can take several routes to become a teacher in Cameroon, which depends on several factors. Some of these are listed below;
- Which level do you wish to teach in, elementary, secondary, or university?
- Do you wish to be employed by the state or practice in the private sector?
- Do you prefer part-time or full-time teaching?
We will look at these three central questions one after the other.
A. What Level Do You Wish to Teach in?
1. How Can I Become an Elementary School Teacher in Cameroon?
An Elementary school refers to a nursery and primary school. To be a teacher in this sector, you have to be a holder of the following:
- Cameroon GCE O-level certificate
- Cameroon Teachers Grade One Certificate (CAPIEMP)
2. How Can I Become a Secondary School Teacher in Cameroon?
To become a Secondary School Teacher in Cameroon, you need to have the following academic qualifications:
- Be a holder of at least a Cameroon GCE A-level Certificate.
- Be a holder of Secondary School Teachers Diploma DIPES I or II, PLET, PLEG.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree in a related academic or professional field.
3. How Can I Become a teacher in a Post-secondary Educational Institution (professional institute, college, university, etc.)?
To become a teacher (lecturer) in a post-secondary institution in Cameroon, you must have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in a relevant field. In addition to this, most institutions also expect that the lecturer should be actively pursuing a Ph.D. while practicing as a lecturer.
B. Do you wish to be employed by the state, or do you want to practice in the Private Sector?
The next aspect to consider about becoming a teacher in Cameroon is which sector to work in; that is, between the private and public sectors.
For the private sector, all it takes is to drop applications in private institutions that interest you. You may need to pass through an interview or another evolution exercise to ascertain your suitability for the teaching job.
In some cases, there is compulsory volunteering or a probational period before being given the job on a semi-permanent or permanent basis.
Becoming a teacher in the public sector has a slightly different approach. The most popular route is to sit in for a competitive exam like the ENS, organized annually by the state.
Successful candidates are admitted to study in the training school. Afterward, they will be integrated into the public service and posted to different parts of the country to work as teachers in various government institutions.
Alternatively, holders of the desired teaching diplomas who didn’t sit for or pass the competitive exams can sit for an integration examination into the public service.
If successful, these candidates will be integrated into the public service and posted in different parts of the country to work as teachers in various government institutions.
In Cameroon, a job as a teacher can be immensely fulfilling.
You must be enthusiastic about the subject you will teach and ready to face the difficulties of teaching to be a successful teacher in Cameroon.
Also, it’s critical to keep up with industry developments and the job market and to be ready to modify your methods and approaches to fit various teaching contexts. You can succeed as a teacher in Cameroon if you put in the effort, are committed, and never give up.
- Recruitment of Anglophone Contract Teachers (Disclaimer)
- List of Female Ministers and Female Senators in Cameroon
- Best Boarding Secondary Schools in Douala and Yaounde Cameroon
- Best Boarding Secondary Schools in Cameroon