The UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) needs the services of a Head of Field Unit to work in Djohong, Cameroon. T
The UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) needs the services of a Head of Field Unit to work in Djohong, Cameroon. This Job Opening is available to eligible UNHCR staff members and external applicants.
Procedures and Eligibility
- Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
- Applicants must be nationals of, and be locally recruited within the country of their employment.
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships of the Head of Field Unit
The position is under direct supervision and guidance of the Representative/Head of Sub/Field-Office on issues concerning programme, protection, external relations, etc. Advice and operational support may also be received from other senior staff and support units at the Branch Office and from the Bureau at Headquarters.
The incumbent represents UNHCR at the field level. S/he will persuade and obtain the assistance of others on matters of non-routine significance. Contacts predominantly with persons on subject matters of importance to OrganizationÂ's programmes (e.g. counterparts in other organizations or at the working level in national Governments).
While the functional responsibility of a Head of Field Unit will remain the same despite its grade level, the other parameters (therefore the depth and breadth of the competencies) such as the size of the population of concern to UNHCR, their specific legal/security concerns, the volume of assistance, number of operational / Implementing partners and the size of the Office (i.e. the number of UNHCR staff and their grade levels) will determine the appropriate grade level. The operational autonomy also depends upon the same parameters/competencies. The Field Unit managed by the incumbent has no other professional position and less than 6 General Service positions. The supervisor exercises substantive oversight and provides regular guidance, direction and support to the incumbent.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCRÂ's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Duties of the Head of Field Unit
- Monitor and report on the implementation of refugee conventional responsibilities and international obligations of the local authorities vis-Ã -vis the population of concern to UNHCR within the AOR.
- Advocate and promote UNHCR standards concerning the treatment of persons of concern.
- Ensure that the basic needs of the concerned population are properly assessed with the participation of the beneficiaries themselves, the host governments and/or the competent Implementing partners and/or UNHCR itself.
- Subject to the needs, ensure that the planning, formulation and budgeting of identified assistance projects are done as per UNHCR programme cycle; upon approval of assistance project, ensure the timely implementation and monitoring of identified assistance activities.
- Ensure through the subordinate staff that deadlines for monitoring and reporting of UNHCR operational activities are met on a regular basis.
- Manage UNHCR resources, both human, financial/material, at an optimum level for the wellbeing of the concerned population and the UNHCR staff.
- Ensure that security measures of UNHCR office (and residential, wherever applicable) compounds are always up to date; any security breaches and/or potential security threat should be reported immediately to a competent UN security coordinator in the country.
- Ensure that staff welfare, both in terms of working and living conditions, are maintained at a satisfactory level within the constraints in the operational area.
- Guide, coach and advocate the subordinate staff to maintain the highest standards of conduct and behaviour thorough oneÂ's own practice and deeds.
- Prepare and submit regular reports, both verbally and written, to the UNHCR Representative/HoSO. In the event of a substantial telephone conversation that leads to specific action or non-action, it should be recorded and share with the other party.
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the UNHCR Representative of the country in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
- Represent UNHCR in inter-agency fora and with local authorities in the AOR.
- Enforce compliance with UNHCRÂ's global protection, programme, finance, human resources and security policies and standards.
- Submit project proposals for assistance to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR Representation or Sub-Office in coordination with local authorities and NGOs.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
- IT-Computer Literacy
- IT-MS Office Applications
- PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
- MG-Office Management
- HR-Staff Administration
- PR-Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators